Institution: Agnes Scott College
Location: Decatur, GA
Posted January 16, 2018
Education: BA required, MA preferred
GENERAL SUMMARY: Advising students on all aspects of independent global study abroad within the guidelines of federal, state and local laws and office, division and college policies and procedures. Reports to the assistant dean for global learning and works with faculty, staff, students and parents: on-campus education about and promotion of study abroad; externally with study abroad providers, ISEP, international organizations, and domestic and foreign governmental offices.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Advises domestic students on all aspects of independent study, work, volunteer, and internship abroad opportunities, and coordinates with other Global
- Learning staff to develop and maintain an appropriate advising strategy, in order to meet annual budget figures and maintain or increase the number of students studying abroad.
- Administers, coordinates, tracks and reports ASC institutional scholarships for study abroad.
- Promotes and advises for several national study abroad scholarships and advises students with associated required projects.
- Provides information to students, faculty and department chairs regarding policies and procedures related to study abroad and exchange programs.
- Serves on SARRFA representing Center for Global Learning & coordinates study abroad processes and policies with those of the college
- Coordinates and leads multiple group information sessions regarding study abroad.
- Coordinates three intensive pre-departure orientations annually, as well as re-entry programming and other student events.
- Manages the outgoing portion of international student exchanges (process applications, conduct orientation sessions, answer student questions before, during and after the exchange, assist students to obtain transcripts, review and process foreign transcripts, and coordinate with other departments on campus to complete all necessary processes)
- Implements, manages and updates Terra Dotta application and data management system; to include back-up maintenance of the system, training, and furthering the use of the system in additional office processes.
- Manages and reports on the significant study abroad budget.
Education: Baccalaureate degree required. Masters degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum of two year of employment experience in the field of study abroad advising. ISEP advising experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written with special expertise in cross-cultural communication.
- Commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Previous participation in semester or year-long study abroad.
- Proficiency with Terra Dotta data management software strongly preferred.
- Fluency in a language in addition to English preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a professional and collegial capacity with students, administrators and faculty.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to prepare and present workshops for students and faculty and prepare promotional materials related to study abroad.
- Proficiency in PC based software: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel; background in database management and web page development; and familiarity with popular social media utilized by students.
- Experience with student (or related) event planning.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and maintain confidentiality.