Graduate Level Research Grants for non-U.S. Citizens

money [150-2]I was recently asked about funding options for dissertating non-U.S. citizens in the field, as some of the major sources of financial support (such as Fulbright) are not open to non-U.S. graduate researchers regardless of whether they are affiliated with a US institution. This list is by no means complete, but hopefully it will offer somewhere to start for those of you feeling anxious about your options. Please let us know if we missed anything! And thank you to those who gave suggestions!

Japan Foundation

Non-U.S. citizens are eligible, but you should write them to find out where to submit your application (likely directly to the Tokyo headquarters), as the deadlines and requirements differ slightly from the U.S. divisions. There are both long-term and short-term grants.

SSRC International Dissertation Research Fellowship (IDRF)

The Mellon International Dissertation Research Fellowship (IDRF) offers nine to twelve months of support to graduate students in the humanities and humanistic social sciences who are enrolled in PhD programs in the United States and conducting dissertation research on non-US topics.

Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship

The short-term fellowship, which can be as long as 12 months, says that candidates possess US citizenship or permanent residency status. BUT citizens of other countries may be eligible if they have completed a master’s or PhD course at a US university and, upon completing the course, have for at least three continuous years conducted high-level research in the US. Foreign researchers doing research at a Japanese research institution at the time of application are not eligible.

***non-US nationals can also apply for JSPS in separate competitions designated according to their home countries/regions:

Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) Mellon Fellowships for Dissertation Research in Original Sources

The purposes of this fellowship program are to: help junior scholars in the humanities and related social science fields gain skill and creativity in developing knowledge from original sources; enable dissertation writers to do research wherever relevant sources may be, rather than just where financial support is available; encourage more extensive and innovative uses of original sources in libraries, archives, museums, historical societies, and related repositories in the U.S. and abroad; and provide insight from the viewpoint of doctoral candidates into how scholarly resources can be developed for access most helpfully in the future.

Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Research Scholarship

Applicants must have the nationality of a country which has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. Stateless persons can be applicants, too. Applicants who have Japanese nationality at the time of application are not eligible. However, applicants of dual nationality who reside outside of Japan is eligible only if they will expatriate from Japan by the time of arrival in Japan. Screening of applicants will be made at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of applicants’ nationality.

Canon Foundation Research Fellowships (for Europeans)

All Europeans are eligible to apply (including Israel, Turkey, Balkan and Baltic countries). Europeans should have permanent citizenship in the country. Applicants should have obtained at least a Master’s degree within the last ten years of applying to the Canon Foundation. We will also consider candidates who obtained their qualification more than ten years ago as long as they provide further supporting information in their application.

Tanaka Fund Grant to Support Promising Junior Japanese Studies Scholars [Canada]

In 2018, the Tanaka Fund was restructured to focus support towards young emerging scholars in order to foster the next generation of Japanese Studies scholarship in Canada. Masters or Doctoral students are eligible.

The Toyota Foundation Research Grant Program

The Research Grant Program, for both joint research and individual research projects, does not place any restriction on their representatives or members in terms of nationality, place of residence, organizational affiliation, etc.

The Fellowships for Advanced Social Science Research on Japan

All U.S. citizens, whether they reside inside or outside the United States, are eligible to apply. Foreign nationals who have been living in the United States or its jurisdictions for at least the three years prior to the application deadline are also eligible.

American Association of University Women [women]

International Fellowships are awarded for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Both graduate and postgraduate studies at accredited U.S. institutions are supported.

Sumitomo Foundation Grant Program [East or Southeast Asian researchers]

Grant for Japan-related Research Projects by East or Southeast Asian researchers (except for Japanese nationality), to be applied in English or Japanese.

Metropolitan Center for Far Eastern Studies (for East Asian Art)

The Metropolitan Center supports projects that reflect advanced scholarship and offer new insights into East Asian art. Doctoral students who have completed all the requirements for the Ph.D. (except the dissertation) and are engaged in field work for the dissertation may apply for a grant as a supplement to other sources of funding.

Hosei International Fund Foreign Scholars Fellowship

Hosei as part of its dedication to international academic exchange welcomes researchers from and sends its own to those universities and research institutes in China, Vietnam, Russia, Hungary, Germany and France etc with which there are mutual agreements. Young exceptional academics are also invited as fellows in the Hosei International Fund (HIF) Program, to conduct cooperative research with Hosei professors.

Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy Fellowship

The Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy aims to support social scientists in the early stages of their academic careers by administering small grants to PhD candidates who are working on their dissertation. It awards dissertation grants to students regardless of nationality.

Link Foundation Fellowship [energy issues]

In an effort to foster education and innovation in the area of societal production and utilization of energy, the award consists of a two-year fellowship of $28,500 per year for two years (total of $57,000) to be used for the Fellow’s academic year and summer stipend. The applicant must be working toward a Ph.D. in an academic institution. (Please note that the applicant must be accepted in a Ph.D. program.). No limitations have been placed on citizenship. Fellowships are only tenable at U.S. and Canadian Universities.

Any more to add to our list? Please email us and let us know or leave a comment below!

About Paula

Paula lives in the vortex of academic life. She studies medieval Japanese history.
This entry was posted in financial assistance, funding, graduate school, study abroad, useful links and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Graduate Level Research Grants for non-U.S. Citizens

  1. Yujia He says:

    There are a few others that I know of:

    Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy Fellowship:
    It awards dissertation grants to students regardless of nationality.

    Students serve as co-PI and do not have to be US citizen.

    Link Foundation Fellowship:
    This one is specifically for those working on energy issues.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s