Institution: Osaka University, Graduate School of Human Sciences
Position: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Lecturer
Associate Professor, Associate Professor (Lecturer), or Assistant Professor of Sociology
The Osaka University Graduate School of Human Sciences invites applications for a full-time Associate Professor, Associate Professor (Lecturer), or Assistant Professor of Sociology, field open. The successful candidate will have established a record as both a researcher and educator. Osaka University is Japan’s largest national university. The Graduate School of Human Sciences is an interdisciplinary faculty of more than 60 scholars in Education, Behavioral Sciences, Social Sciences, and Kyousei Studies. In addition to established Japanese medium programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, the school is also pioneering English medium education in the Human Sciences.
Graduate School of Human Sciences 2. Position:
Associate Professor, Associate Professor (Lecturer), or Assistant Professor of Sociology. Rank at time of appointment will be determined by previous experience and record of scholarly achievement. The post will be a limited-term contract of three years. The contract renewal (of 2 years) will hinge on satisfactory performance during the first contract period.
- Number of Positions: One
4. Work Location: Suita Campus(1-2 Yamadaoka, Suita-city, Osaka)
- Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Teaching. The teaching consists of a mix of lecture courses and seminars for undergraduate and graduate students, plus tutorials and office hours and over two 15-week semesters.
(2) Research. The appointee will maintain an active research program and contribute to the School’s research output. They should apply for competitive research funding. The applicant will participate in existing and future research projects within the Graduate School of Human Sciences.
(3) Administration. Administrative duties include attendance at faculty meetings, participation in committee work, and invigilation at exams.
1.Earned Ph.D. in Sociology and publications past the dissertation.
- Native-level, professional competence in spoken and written English.
- Japanese language skill at a level sufficient to fulfill administrative responsibilities.
- Starting date:
June 1, 2016or as soon as possible thereafter, but no later thanOctober 1, 2016. 8. Application materials:
- Curriculum vitae in English.
- List of publications. Include thesis and dissertations, conference presentations and
works in progress.
- PDFs of three representative publications (may include Ph.D. thesis).
- A cover letter of 500 words or less in English describing your teaching and research
experience to date.
- A statement of 500 words or less in English outlining your current and future research
- Name, affiliation, title, and contact information of two academic referees.
- Copy of certificate or transcript showing highest degree. Presentation of the actual
certification is required prior to contact signing.
- Selection process:
Following documentary screening, short-listed candidates will be interviewed either face-to- face or via an IT interface. Additional materials, including letters of recommendation, may also be requested.
- Employment Type:
Discretionary Labor System, Special Work Type
*Based on the ‘Regulations Pertaining to Working Hours, Holidays and Leave for National University Corporation Osaka University Limited Term Staff.’
- Salary and Benefits:
Based on the ‘Salary Regulations for National University Corporation Osaka University Limited Term Academic Staff Subject to Annual Salary System.’
The separate regulations may apply in case where the previous employment period is included in calculation of the “period of continuous service” defined in the Regulations Pertaining to Retirement Allowance for National University Corporation Osaka University Limited Term Staff.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the National Public Service Personnel Mutual Aid Association, Employment Insurance, and Workers’ Accident Compensation Insurance.
- Submission Address:
Please assemble the required application materials in PDF form and email them to the address below. (If you need to password protect your electronically transmitted application files, please send the password in a separate email.)
Please put your surname and “sociology” in the subject line of your email.
Submission address: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will confirm receipt of your application materials by email within a week of their arrival. 14. Closing date: May10, 2016
15. For more information, please contact:
The Selection Committee, Sociology: email@example.com
*Documents submitted will be treated as confidential and will only be used for the purpose of selection.