Position Summary: The position takes care of several daily recurring tasks related to circulation and public services, such as handling outgoing and incoming Annex, ReCAP, Borrow Direct and newly displayed book requests; maintenance of item records (updating, correcting and creating); maintenance of the “hold” shelves; handling patron notices (overdue, recall and fine); tracing missing books; carrel patrol (maintenance of neatness); library supply management; assisting patrons; as well as more seasonal tasks such as handling course reserves (including electronic reserves).
Participation in all other circulation activities and processing is required as needed, especially in times of pressure (circulation desk duties, carrel assignments, special projects, etc.). Books handled are in the Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Western languages.
The precise time is to be coordinated with other Circulation staff in order to avoid overlapping; it is likely to be daily in the afternoon, but flexibility is required.
Essential Qualifications: Position Requires:
- Must be very service-oriented and have excellent customer service skills; must work effectively and diplomatically with all users. Demonstrated ability to build good working relationships and work with others in a team environment. Excellent oral communication, judgment, and problem-solving skills in English.
- Candidate must demonstrate that (s) he will be able to learn quickly computer programs such as Voyager (circulation, cataloging, reserves), E-Reserves, ILLiad, Acrobat and OCLC FirstSearch. Has to present sufficient indications of analytic skills to learn, select and interpret procedures efficiently and accurately, including different book classification schemes.
- Must also be able to lift and shelve books (using stepladders), and push large book trucks holding approximately 300 volumes. Other physical tasks involve careful dealing with large, heavy and dusty books, possibly in poor condition.
- Occasional flexibility in work schedule (to ensure full public service coverage in the absence of colleagues) is required.
- Education Required: High School or Equivalent
Preferred Qualifications: Preferred:
Some previous experience with copy machines, scanners, and scanning software. Some knowledge (script, romanization) of one or more of the East Asian languages covered in the East Asian Library (Chinese, Japanese, Korean). Knowledge of MARC record structure and knowledge of the Voyager circulation and catalog systems in particular. Knowledge of reserves, including E-reserves. Experience using online union catalogs (OCLC). General experience with PC computers, including scanning technology and software, and programs such as Acrobat, Ariel.
NOTE: This is a part-time position – afternoon schedule (52%) duty time. 18.85 hours per week.
Full application details on HigherEdJobs.com.