The Japan Information and Culture Center (JICC), Embassy of Japan, is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual for the Publicity Coordinator position. This individual is responsible for supporting the JICC’s goal to promote a better understanding of Japan and Japanese culture by disseminating information about the JICC and various Japan-related events to the public and media. Possessing excellent writing skills, this individual will have primary responsibility for creating and designing promotional materials and will also be responsible for drafting speeches for Embassy of Japan diplomats.
This position also entails other duties shared with coworkers at the JICC, such as assisting the diplomats and other colleagues with events held at the JICC, and responding to public inquiries about Japan. Please see below for a more detailed listing of responsibilities.
The Embassy offers group health insurance coverage, paid vacation and sick leave. Working hours are 9am – 5pm, Monday through Friday with weeknight and/or weekend events several times a month (paid overtime).
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Candidate must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
- Draft flyers, brochures, pamphlets, posters and advertisements for JICC events
Draft speeches, statements, remarks and correspondence for diplomats and staff
Develop materials for JICC exhibits such as signs and posters
- Keep the staff updated on news coverage of JICC events in the media
- Maintain a database of media and art-related contacts and build relationships with relevant media
- Disseminate information on Japan to the public; respond to public inquiries on Japan
- Assist the diplomats with administrative tasks, writing and research
- Support other staff with JICC events and other office tasks
Requirements and Preferred Qualifications:
- Superior writing and editing skills in English; experience in journalism or writing for public relations preferred
- Ability to use Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Strong computer skills
- Proficiency in Japanese
- High attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple ongoing projects
- Experience living or working in Japan preferred
- Understanding of Japanese culture and passion to teach others
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in relevant field: e.g. Communication, East Asian Studies, International Relations