16th Hakuhodo Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship
With the goals of further strengthening the fundamentals of international research into and deepening understanding of Japan, the Hakuhodo Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship invites leading international researchers of the Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature and Japanese culture to Japan to conduct
Researchers working in the fields of Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature or Japanese culture who reside outside Japan and meet all of the criteria below.
- Affiliated with a higher education or research institution (including postdoctoral scholars, adjunct professors and part-time lecturers), or have equivalent research and educational background
- Researchers with a doctoral degree (including degrees to be granted on or before December 2020) OR an equivalent level of research or education background
- Sufficient Japanese language proficiency to be able to conduct research in Japanese
- Non-Japanese national residing outside Japan or Japanese national who has resided outside Japan for 10 years or more and been active in the academic community of the country of their residence
- Able to stay continuously in Japan for the duration of the Fellowship period and participate in research reporting sessions arranged by the Foundation
- Applications are not sought from those whose purpose is to write a doctoral thesis.
- As research reporting and communications with the Fellowship secretariat on various procedures will be conducted in Japanese only, a suitable level of Japanese language ability is required.
- Those who have previously received support for residential research in Japan may also apply.
Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature and Japanese culture research
Applications must be submitted online between June 1 and October 30, 2020.
For more information: https://www.hakuhodofoundation.or.jp/download/pdf/16th_ip_Application_guidelines.pdf