Translator and Interpreter
- Washington, IN 47501
Interpret oral and translate written text from one language into another.
Essential Job Functions:
- Translate written or spoken language, both Japanese and English.
- Use interpersonal, oral and/or written communication techniques to bridge the gap between English speaking and Japanese speaking employees.
- Transcribe spoken or written information.
- Understand second language.
- Assist President, HR and Safety Manager in daily administrative duties.
- English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Foreign Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of a foreign (Japanese) language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar, and pronunciation.
- Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes for providing front office customer and personal services.
- Clerical – Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Active Learning – Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension – Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking – Talking to others to convey information effectively in both English and Japanese.
- Writing – Communicating effectively in writing in English and Japanese, as appropriate.
- Follow ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information.
- Identify and resolve conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices, or behaviors.
- Translate messages simultaneously or consecutively into specified languages, orally or by using hand signs, maintaining message content, context, and style as much as possible.
- Check translations of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions.
- Read written materials, such as legal documents, scientific works, or news reports, and rewrite material into specified languages.
- Refer to reference materials, such as dictionaries, lexicons, encyclopedias, and computerized terminology banks, as needed to ensure translation accuracy.
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical terms.
- Listen to speakers’ statements to determine meanings and to prepare translations.
- Compile information on content and context of information to be translated and on intended audience.
- Open office environment, moderate to loud noise.
- Standard automotive plan environment with PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as safety glasses, steel toe shoes, hearing protecting, etc. Personal attire standards may apply.
- Ability to sit, walk or stand for extensive periods of time.
- May occasionally be required to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Bachelor’s Degree – preferred.
- High School Diploma – required.
- Associate’s Degree – required.
- Fluent in Japanese and English languages.
- Experience with manufacturing processes.
- Injection plastics and Urethane process experience a plus.
- Previous exposure to a multicultural office environment a plus.