Mainichi Shimbun – Researcher / Assistant Correspondent (Full-Time)
The Mainichi Newspapers Los Angeles Bureau seeks a full time Researcher / Assistant Correspondent. The Mainichi Newspapers is a major daily Japanese newspaper printed in Japan with around 3 million readers. It is the oldest national daily newspaper in Japan founded in 1872. Our corporate information can be found at https://mainichi.jp/
- Coordinating with Japanese news correspondents in gathering news and developing articles.
- General proofreading.
- Researching and gathering news, conducting interviews, developing and maintaining news sources, covering press conferences and other events ( such as sporting events, award ceremonies, criminal trials, etc.) in English and Japanese.
- Administrative duties are included.
- No byline opportunities.
- Must have a keen interest and understanding of U.S. current events, and journalism.
- Must be a native English speaker who is proficient at speaking and writing English effectively.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, detail oriented, and research savvy.
- Must be highly motivated in journalism and pitch ideas/stories to report on.
- Ability to analyze news stories to see what is interesting and newsworthy.
- Persistent in achieving goals and objectives under deadlines.
- Must be available to work on weekends and/or irregular hours when needed.
- Must have B.A. minimum and reliable transportation. Research experience is crucial.
- Japanese-speaking applicants and/or those familiar with Japanese culture and media.
- Excellent English-Japanese translation skills.
Please email resume and a cover letter (as an attachment) email@example.com. With “Attn: Los Angeles Bureau Chief” Location: Brentwood in Los Angeles, CA
- Salary and paid overtime, paid vacation and sick-time.
- You must be able to work in the United States legally. We do not sponsor visas.
- One month probation period.