Position: Researcher / Assistant Correspondent (full-time or part time)
The Mainichi Newspapers Los Angeles Bureau seeks a full time Researcher / Assistant Correspondent. The Mainichi Newspapers is a major daily Japanese newspaper printed in Japan with over 4 million readers. Founded in 1872, It is the oldest national daily newspaper in Japan.
- Coordinating with Japanese news correspondent in gathering news and developing articles.
- General proofreading.
- Researching and gathering news, conducting interviews, developing and maintaining news sources, covering press conferences and other events including taking photos.
- Administrative duties are included.
- Must have a keen interest in and understanding of U.S. current events.
- Must be a native English speaker able to speak and write effectively in English.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and good instincts.
- Must be detail oriented and research savvy.
- Must be highly motivated in journalism and bring up ideas for news reporting.
- Ability to analyze news stories to see what is interesting and newsworthy.
- Persistent in achieving goals and objectives under deadlines.
- Must be available to work on weekend and/or irregular hours if needed.
- Must have B.A. minimum. Research experience is crucial.
- Japanese-speaking applicants and/or those familiar with Japanese culture and media.
- Knowledge of law/criminal justice.
- Interest or experience in sports.
- Rapid typing for taking notes and typing transcripts.
- Ability to start in early July 2017.
$2,500/month (negotiable) after all applicable federal and state deductions and withholdings
Please email resume and a cover letter (as an attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Location: Brentwood in Los Angeles