Institution: British Embassy Tokyo, British Consulate-General Osaka
Location: 4 positions in Tokyo; 1 in Osaka, Japan
Duration: 14 weeks, ~28 hours/week; 1 Sept. – 1 Dec. 2014
Language requirements vary by position
Type: Unpaid but reimbursed for travel and lunch expenses.
Deadline: 2 July 2014
Eligibility: The internships are not available to applicants based in the UK. UK and foreign nationals must be based in Japan or be travelling to the country during the interview process and the period that they are applying to work for. See details for language requirements.
We are recruiting now for five internships at the British Embassy Tokyo and British Consulate-General in Autumn 2014 to run for 14 weeks from 1 September – 5 December 2014.
The internships are designed for those who want to learn more about how an Embassy works. This includes learning how we help business and support science & technology in Japan. It is ideal for those who wish to broaden their skills and experience in a real-world environment. The internships will provide you with a unique experience and in-depth understanding of the British Government’s work in business, and science and technology and Climate Change.
To find out more about the kind of work we do for business, please see www.exporttojapan.co.uk
The closing date for applications is 10:00 on Wednesday 2 July 2014 (Japan Time)
Please note that each role is part time up to a maximum of 28 hours per week (hours to be agreed on appointment).
Four positions are available in the British Embassy Tokyo and one is at the British Consulate-General Osaka. The roles are:
1. Marketing Assistant – UKTI – UK Exporters: Content Creation & Client Relations (Ref/01) – English only required
2. Marketing Assistant – UKTI – Japanese Investors (Ref/02)
3. Research Assistant – UKTI – Strategic Trade Team (Ref/03)
4. Research Assistant – Prosperity (Science & Innovation, Climate Change Energy, Economic & Trade Policy) (Ref/04)
5. Research Assistant – British Consulate-General Osaka (Ref/05)
Who are we looking for?
The successful candidates for all five positions will be enthusiastic, quick learners with the ability to work with minimum oversight and challenge the status quo. Candidates should be looking to stretch themselves in a new environment.
A proven ability to undertake research work is an advantage for all positions, along with strong oral and written communication and IT skills. We will consider applications from those both with and without formal work experience. The work is likely to involve a mixture of policy and administrative tasks.
Criteria and Eligibility
- The duration of the internships is 14 weeks
- You must be available to work at least three days a week from 9.30am until 5.30pm. The exact working hours will be agreed at appointment.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- The internships are not available to applicants based in the UK. UK and foreign nationals must be based in Japan or be travelling to the country during the interview process and the period that they are applying to work for.
- You must have a valid visa to undertake unpaid work in Japan. It is your responsibility to make sure that you have a valid visa to stay in Japan until the end of your internship assignment.
- You will not be eligible for a transfer appointment to any position within the British Embassy at the end of your internship. Any future employment with the British Embassy shall be subject to a separate external recruitment and selection process.
- As these are unpaid positions you should ensure that you have sufficient insurance (e.g. medical) in place to ensure you have adequate cover.
- No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
- The British Embassy and Consulate-General are equal opportunities employers and do not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
You should apply via the following completed on-line application form
* Please note that application form must be completed in one single entry.
As required, you should attach to this:
1. Your up-to-date CV
2. Evidence of your language ability if required for the position and not your native language
You will receive an acknowledgement on receipt of the form. In order to remain fair and impartial towards all prospective internship candidates, we are not able to give extra advice other than that stated concerning the application process.
Please email UKTI.Japan@fco.gov.uk if you have any issues completing this form.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.