Institution: United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies Operating Unit Ishikawa/Kanazawa (OUIK)
Location: Kanazawa, Ishikawa pref., Japan
Application deadline: March 20, 2014
Education requirements: BA required, MA preferred
Languages needed: English, Japanese
Employment type: Full time
Start date: April 16, 2014
The United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies Operating Unit Ishikawa/Kanazawa (OUIK) was established in April 2008 with strong support by local governments of Ishikawa Prefecture and Kanazawa City in Japan. OUIK has provided local and regional input into UNU’s sustainable development and international cooperation efforts in collaboration with other organizations, including UN agencies, academic institutes and local partners by implementing research on sustainable utilization of biodiversity and ecosystem services. OUIK also aims at developing communication and networks with local stakeholders through public outreach and capacity building, while sharing information about international trends.
- Under the overall supervision of the UNU-IAS Director and direct supervision of the Director of UNU-IAS Operating Unit Ishikawa/Kanazawa (OUIK), the Office Manager will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assume responsibilities for the OUIK as the main programme manager; oversee and guide the day to day management and operation of the programme activities, such as liaising with Ishikawa Prefecture and Kanazawa City government officials, programme outreach, event coordination and logistics, writing, editing and other tasks;
- Assist the Director of OUIK to build coherence and cooperation within the OUIK, as well as to establish links with other academic institutions, scholars and stakeholders at the local level and beyond;
- Assume greater responsibilities in public outreach, promoting the OUIK’s activities and work to relevant audiences, including local stakeholders and community, academic institutions, foundations, the private sector and the general public;
- Provide, where appropriate and within the ability of the Office Manager, research and research-assistant contributions to projects and further develop areas of specialization to the benefit of the OUIK; and
- Perform other duties at the request of the Director of OUIK.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree (a Masters’ degree would be preferable) in relevant fields of environmental studies or public policy, or comparable work experience;
- Excellent communication skills with proficiency in both oral and written English and Japanese;
- Computer/web literacy is a must;
- Five (5) years work experience on programme activities is desirable; programme management experience is an asset;
- Knowledge and working experience of organization of conferences, logistical and financial arrangements desirable;
- A good team player with strong inter-personal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; and
- Excellent analytical skills as well as demonstrated ability to multi-task and to manage own workload and schedule to deliver timely results.
For full details, see posting on Idealist.org.