The Department of German, Russian & Asian Languages & Literatures at Tufts University offers two master’s degrees in German (M.A. in German and M.A. in German with Teaching Licensure), undergraduate majors in German Languages and Literatures, German Studies, Chinese, Japanese, Russian Languages and Literatures, Russian and East European Studies and – in conjunction with other departments -, Asian Studies, Judaic Studies and International Literary & Visual Studies. There are also programs in Hebrew and in Arabic Language. Students can minor in Arabic, Chinese, German, Hebrew, Japanese, Russian, and in conjunction with other departments – Asian Studies and Judaic Studies.
The Staff Assistant assumes responsibility for providing support and service to Department Administrator, Chair, and faculty members in all functions of the Department including:
· answering the phone in a professional, pleasant, and helpful manner;
· serving as department contact, liaison and resource to students by answering questions in person and via the telephone;
· acting as a liaison between the department and other university office and vendors;
· assisting the Department Administrator in developing and interpreting department policies and procedures;
· scheduling and coordinating courses each semester for department and the coordinating of all other matters pertaining to this with the Registrar’s office;
· producing course booklet, program brochures, announcements, flyers;
· compiling data and assisting in the preparation of reports;
· maintaining and updating department databases and website;
· managing calendars and office hours;
· assisting in planning department events and conferences;
· providing logistical support for such events;
· coordinating travel arrangements and expense reimbursements;
· performing various office tasks as needed, such as maintaining department files, distributing mail, ordering office supplies, copying, scanning, and preparation of course materials;
· sorting and distributing mail;
· supervising and scheduling tasks for work-study student personnel; this includes; recruiting, hiring, training.
· Associate’s degree
· Minimum of three (3) years of experience
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and the ability to learn all Tufts computer systems
· Excellent interpersonal skills coupled with superb skills in verbal and written communication are required as are skills in planning and organization
· The ideal candidate should demonstrate mature judgment and a professional demeanor; excellent customer service skills; be detail oriented; have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines amid frequent interruptions; ability to handle and be sensitive to multi-cultural differences; ability to handle confidential matters with discretion and work independently and as part of a team
· Must successfully complete all appropriate background checks as required
Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Work experience at Tufts University or in a university setting is a plus. Knowledge/expertise with various computer programs such as Adobe Photoshop, OTC Scanning. Basic knowledge of MAC and PC preferred. The ability to speak one of the languages offered by the department is also a plus.
Full details on HigherEdJobs.com.