The Asia Foundation is seeking a Communications Assistant for its San Francisco office’s Global Communications unit.
The Communications Assistant is a key member of the Communications team, responsible for assisting with and maintaining a significant portion of The Asia Foundation’s external website, including new initiatives, regular website content updates, and supporting outreach, including social media. The position reports to the Senior Communications Manager and will work closely with the Web Officer, the entire Global Communications team, and other units as needed. The Communications Assistant will further the outreach efforts of other units and offices by posting copy, images, and documents for relevant web sections; staying aware of and reporting on relevant trends and prevalent issues in the blogosphere and in social media; helping maintain and support the Foundation’s presence and responsiveness in social media networking outlets (such as Facebook, Google+, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, Instagram) and carry out basic graphic design work as needed, such as image selection/editing/cropping.
Experience: Excellent communications skills. Professional web experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, design tools, including Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and web content tools. Knowledge of the social media realm with emphasis on the use of Facebook, Twitter, and blogs as effective outreach tools for an organization. Candidates should have a strong eye for design, strong attention to detail, and comfort and ability to serve as point person on web updates and projects; as well as the ability to interact with colleagues in-person and remotely in a proactive and positive manner. Ability to closely monitor and report on relevant social media and web communications trends to capitalize on outreach. Awareness of basic Search Engine Optimization (SEO) principles. Knowledge and interest in international relations/current affairs in Asia strongly preferred.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or in Fine Arts, Design, Photography, International Relations, or related field.
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in web content/production as an editor, designer, or communications professional.
- Understanding of tagging, using keywords, and commenting/social media.
- Knowledge of HTML.
- Familiarity with Content Management Systems such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla or similar.
- Experience with Web editing tool(s), such as Dreamweaver or similar.
- Experience using and navigating databases.
- Experience with social media tools and sites for a non-profit or corporation, including Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Flickr, YouTube, Instagram, as well as wikis and blogs.
- Familiarity with Google analytics a plus.
- Knowledge of CSS a plus.
- Experience with Illustrator or similar, and with Photoshop or other image editing software.
- A creative eye for design and photography, while supporting the web site’s visual identity.
- High-level written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to process information in a timely manner in order to work with editorial team on making website and social media content decisions.
- Acute attention to detail, including proofreading
For full details and to apply, see original posting on Idealist.org.