Via JETWit Jobs mailing list.
Institution: Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Job posted Jan. 15, 2013
Education: BA required, MA preferred
Language: JLPT 1 or 2
Application deadline: March 4, 2013 [updated 2/5/2013]
The Curator of Education will report to the Museum Director and be primarily responsible for the creation and implementation of educational programming at the Morikami Museum. This includes working closely with curatorial and exhibitions staff, developing and maintaining school and group tours, programs and activities, evaluating and developing potential educational programs, and assisting in the sponsorship and marketing of educational programs. The Curator of Education will also be responsible for training and scheduling docents.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plan, develop, and implement educational programs and tours for students and adults
- Create and maintain a successful docent program, including but not limited to developing and administering training sessions, study materials, and the scheduling of docent-led public tours
- Provide support for programming during regularly scheduled work days including some evenings and weekends, and all festivals
- Act as lead Education Department staff member on Saturdays
- Develop and maintain productive partnerships with outside organizations to secure funding and to collaborate with area schools, colleges, and arts institutions to create and manage programming at the local, national, and international level
- Ability to conduct grant research and prepare grant writing for educational programs.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, officials, and all members of the public
- Assist in creating the content of all related promotional materials for educational programs
Bachelor’s degree in art, education, museum studies or related field; Master’s degree in museum education highly preferred
JLPT Level 1 or 2 certification or equivalent; knowledge of Japanese culture, art, and museum practices; must have at least 3 years of experience working in a museum or cultural institution setting; experience in developing, managing, and promoting programs and events and working with people of all ages
Strong organizational and communication skills, excellent computer skills, is a self starter and skilled in the ability to work independently and collaboratively; accomplished researcher and writer; excellent presentation skills and able to conduct outreach programs on Japanese culture
To apply, see details on original posting at Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens’ website.