Instituion: United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies (UNU-IAS)
Start date: February 1, 2013
Application deadline: January 11, 2013
Education requirements: Doctorate (PhD) (not ABD) or PhD candidate (must be in research stage with no class requirements left)
Language requirements: Fluency in both oral and written English.
The Institute is recruiting a Postdoctoral or PhD Fellow for its Sustainable Urban Futures Programme, which focuses on understanding how global environmental concerns are translated into local policies and vice-versa (how local concerns are incorporated into international environmental policies). The programme conducts research seeking solutions to global environmental problems at the local level and analyses how cities in developing countries create the institutional capacity to implement effective environmental policies with social inclusion. In this context, local authorities and organizations have played important roles in policy implementation to tackle issues related to climate change and biodiversity, even though the media and much of the literature focuses on debates at the global or country level.
The Fellow is expected to research patterns of environmental governance and policy implementation designed to tackle global environmental problems in the case of one or more cities in developing countries. He/she is expected to understand the role that governmental and non-governmental organizations play in climate change-related policies and how those policies are linked to environmental and development policies at the local and national levels. The Fellow is expected to contribute to the development of a tool to analyse urban climate co-benefits. This position requires skills in quantitative analysis and modeling.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Postdoctoral Fellow: A PhD degree (no ABDs), preferably in a field related to applied Social or Environmental Sciences, including Urban Planning, Engineering, Development Studies, Public Policy, Management and Economics; or PhD Fellow: PhD candidate (must be in research stage with no class requirements left) preferably in a field related to applied Social or Environmental Sciences, including Urban Planning, Engineering, Development Studies, Public Policy, Management and Economics;
- Demonstrated research skills in similar areas;
- Ability to design and implement research;
- Fluency in both oral and written English is required. Knowledge of other United Nations official languages would be an asset;
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
For full details and to apply, see original posting at Idealist.org.