The Japan Society of Northern California is a public affairs 501(c) 3 non-profit with a mission to strengthen cooperation and understanding between the peoples of the United States and Japan through programs that expand knowledge, increase personal interaction and facilitate discussion of important issues.
The Office Manager will assist the President and the Board of Directors to achieve this mission by providing administrative and logistical support to facilitate smooth office and financial management. The Office Manager reports directly to the President.
- Record cash inflows, pay bills and monitor accounts payable/receivable using QuickBooks.
- Process credit card orders and refunds, and manage merchant account connections.
- Work with outside accountant and auditor to assure that monthly financial reports and annual audit are accurate and completed in a timely fashion.
- Oversee IRS filings and other compliance.
- Process payroll and maintain HR & 401k plan records.
- Coordinate staff and intern hiring, including recruitment and interviewing, and new employee intake procedures. Manage the Society interns.
- Work with all vendors of insurance, office supplies, and equipment maintenance and outside contractors.
- Maintain and update operations and procedures manuals.
- Distribute mail, answer telephones, and respond to inquiries about Japan Society programs or other Japan resources in the Bay Area.
Membership and Donor Data Management:
- Maintain the Society’s database in SalesForce, including overseeing recording dues, giving records, and contact information for current, prospective and past members.
- Generate reports on SalesForce data as needed.
- Maintain office IT, conduct regular backups and work closely IT contractors.
- Regularly update the Society’s website.
- Assist President with budget preparation and forecasting, and provide other support as needed.
- Schedule, plan and prepare materials for Board elections, Board and committee meetings, and the Annual General Meeting, and take minutes as needed.
- Maintain up-to-date Board contact information and all other Board-related documents.
- Provide support for programs as needed.
- Provide support to the annual Gala as needed.
- Other projects as assigned.
We seek an enthusiastic, highly organized, and positive team player, a quick learner who can work efficiently with precision and minimal supervision. Other valued qualities include professional attitude, an eye for detail and pleasant phone and interpersonal demeanor.
- Minimum two years administrative experience, with bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Superior organizational skills. Must be comfortable with multitasking and juggling competing priorities on tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to deal with a diverse, international staff, Board and membership in the San Francisco Bay Area and Japan.
- Native level English and effective written and spoken communication skills required. Japanese ability a plus.
- Excellent command of MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) required. QuickBooks experience highly desired.
- Experience with SalesForce or other database program highly desired.
- Experience working with websites, simple HTML, and Adobe InDesign a plus.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Passionate and informed about Japan.
Full details on Idealist.org.