Institution: Middlebury College
Location: Oakland, CA
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Type: Full Time
Language Schools at Mills
This is a 2-year term position located in Oakland, CA.
Mills College is hosting the Middlebury College Arabic, French, Japanese, and Spanish Language Schools at their Oakland, CA campus. This is a Middlebury College position and is based year-round in Oakland, CA. The Operations Manager advises the Middlebury Operations Director and Vice President for Languages Schools on allocation of resources, facilities, and services for all Middlebury at Mills Language Schools programs. The position also directs and guides the operation and logistics of the Language Schools; develops and implements policies and procedures, and oversees the operation of Language Schools offices; plans and manages the logistical support for each Language School and coordinates support from Mills College departments and services throughout the year to ensure effective operation of summer sessions. This is a 3-year contract with the possibility of an extension.
* Plans and manages site enrollment (450-500 students, faculty, staff and dependents), and arrival processes for Middlebury at Mills Language Schools, in consultation with Middlebury and Mills senior staff.
* Manages Middlebury at Mills budget, analyzing cost effective contracts, developments and procedures.
* Oversees Language Schools administration, working closely with the both Mills staff and LS Middlebury School coordinators.
* Serves as liaison with Mills and Middlebury College departments relevant to the operations of the Language Schools.
* Has full familiarity with summer operations.
* Represents the Language Schools on appropriate committees throughout the year (such as housing and conference planning) to provide input on policies affecting LS, and ensure the required support for LS operations during the summer.
* Tracks data for planning and statistical analyses.
* Develops planning materials (calendars, timelines, etc.)
* Manages the conversion of the Mills campus to summer use by the Language Schools in collaboration with Mills College Conference and Housing staff: assesses and allocates space for housing, events, dining and classes; coordinates computing, telephone and office equipment needs, works with campus departments to ensure these needs are met.
* Maintains master schedule of summer classes, dining, and co-curricular activities and events for the Language Schools.
* Compiles, updates and publishes student handbook.
* Oversees housing/room changes, guest database and work orders (for Facilities Management) for LS students and faculty.
* Hires/trains/supervises student assistants (with other members of the staff).
* Works with other members of the LS team to create an efficient and harmonious work environment; maintains flexibility and willingness to contribute to the resolution of problems.
* Contracts outside vendors, including school counselor, transportation (golf carts, rental cars, shuttle, chauffer), moving company and equipment for school offices.
* Develops Middlebury at Mills contract.
* Manages petty cash and distributes to Language Schools.
* Receives & distributes summer paychecks, supporting on check cashing/banking solutions for overseas faculty.
* Implements billing system for Midd at Mills.
* Submits weekly billing counts.
* Reconciles all invoices from Mills and outside vendors, checking for accuracy before submitting to Middlebury Budget Manager.
* Tracks staff time sheets. Supports the VP for Operations (Mills) and VP for LS (Middlebury) in interviewing, hiring and training of new Language School staff.
* Exercises creative problem solving and performs a wide variety of tasks and errands to support the smooth arrival, implementation and closing of Summer Language programs.
Education & Training
3 – 5 years experience in an academic setting preferred.
* Knowledge of higher education operations preferred.
* Strong knowledge in computer programs.
* Knowledge of foreign language helpful.
* Ability to provide day-to-day leadership for a work group.
* Maturity and ability to handle problems with tact, discretion, and confidentiality.
* Ability to work well under pressure.
* Strong organizational, collaborative and facilitation skills.
* Ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations.
* Respect for, and ability to relate to, people from other cultures.
* May require cross-country travel a few times each year.
To apply, please visit: https://middlebury.igreentree.com/CSS_MIDD_External/CSSPage_JobDeta il.ASP?T=20111114132908&
Contact: Human Resources
Online App. Form: http://apptrkr.com/217570