We are pleased to announce that the next JAT (Japan Association of Translators) eJuku session will be held as indicated below. For general information on eJuku, please visit the webpage “What is e-Juku?”
Spring 2022 J>E eJuku session
– Language direction: Japanese to English
– Format: online forum discussion and series of videoconference
– Period: mid-April through mid-May 2022 (see below)
– Fees: None
1. JAT membership through to the end of the session (non-members required to join JAT after being selected as eJuku participants)
2. Native or near-native English proficiency (eJuku is a place for polishing already impeccable English)
3. Ideally no more than a couple of years’ experience as a professional translator
4. High motivation to learn and pledge to participate actively in the planned videoconferences (ideally all of them) and forum discussions (ideally on a daily basis)-
– Tentative schedule:
Start of April: eJuku publicly announced; Call for Participants sent to inquirers
Call closed within 7 to 10 days
Applicants screened; participants selected and notified
Forum set up on Basecamp, session begins
Around the third week of April: Initial translation deadline
April 23, Saturday 10:00 a.m. JST: 1st videoconference & forum discussion
April 30, Saturday 10:00 a.m. JST: 2nd videoconference & forum discussion
May 7, Saturday 10:00 a.m. JST: 3rd videoconference & forum discussion
May 14, Saturday 10:00 a.m. JST: 4th videoconference & additional discussion
*Videoconferences are usually held on Saturday mornings 10:00 to 11:30 JST.
– Application and screening:
If you would like to know more about the upcoming eJuku session or are interested in participating, please write to Richard, the eJuku coordinator, immediately. He will send you a Call for Participants document, which will contain all necessary information, including the source text, for you to make a decision to apply. If there is overwhelming demand, the call may be closed when a reasonable limit to the number of applicants has been reached.
If you know anyone you think might be interested, please send this along to them.